If you are a non-Muslim and yet you want to know and learn about Islam, then congratulations! You are one of the few people who are interested in knowing about different religions, cultures and ways of life.
Learning about different religions is a very important thing to do in this era. We are living in a world where misconceptions and misunderstandings are being spread to instill fear in the people. This fear eventually leads to enmity and violence. We have to stop that. This can be done if we start to learn about each other’s religion and cultures.
Who is Prophet Muhammad ﷺ?
Prophet Muhammad, as the title suggests, is a prophet sent by God. Hisname is Muhammed (which means ‘praise worthy’ in Arabic). He is the last prophet in the chain of prophets of Islam. In our last post, we had explained that Prophet Muhammed ﷺ is not the founder of Islam. He is the final prophet of Islam. Before him, God had sent many prophets such as prophets Adam, Nooh (Noah), Ibrahim (Abraham), Moosa (Moses) and Eesa (Jesus), peace be upon them all.
Who is a prophet?
- A prophet is a human being
- A prophet is not God nor does he have any God like attribute
- He is chosen by God to guide his people to the right path
- Prophets are always chosen from the community which they will be asked to guide in future. In other words, for every community or country, God will chose a person from their ranks, and not an outsider.
- All the prophets chosen by God were people of extremely high character, strong will and very good people.
- God sent thousands of prophets in different times, across different regions and continents
- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ is the last prophet sent by God. After him, no prophet was sent and won’t be sent.
Some important facts about Prophet Muhammed ﷺ which explain why he is such an important figure in Islam:
- Prophet Muhammed ﷺ (peace be upon him) is the last prophet of Islam.
- His version of Islam is the final version of Islam and invalidates the previous versions of Islam brought by different prophets.
- He was born in Arabian city of Makkah (also spelled as Mecca) in 570 CE
- He was chosen as a prophet at the age of 40.
- Even before being chosen as a prophet, he was known as a very honest and truthful person.
- The Makkah of those times, especiall the Arabs, were known for violence and Bloodshed. The fact that Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him) adhered to high morals such as truthfulness, honesty and non-violence are a clear indication to his farsighted mind.
- He was an orphan from birth. His father Abdullah had died a few months ago. When he was aged 6, his mother also passed away.
The real reason why Prophet Muhammed ﷺ is revered:
Above we have given just a few facts about Prophet Muhammed ﷺ is considered such an important personality. However, the main reason why Muslims (and many other people) love and revere him is because he brought a revolution for human rights and individual independence at a time when the world was shackled in slavery and was ruled by monarchs.
- Through Islam, Prophet Muhammed ﷺ brought rights for women at a time when they were treated like cattle. (this is literally true)
- Through Islam, he gave rights to individuals and ended racism. His famous speech during his first and last Hajj is considered the first charter of human rights in history
- With his character, wisdom and strong will, he brought a revolution in the Arabian peninsula, which gradually spread all across the world
- He gave rights to the common man and brought in the principle of accountability for political and administrative governors
- Although he himself didn’t know how to read and write, he stressed on the importance of education and ensured that the new generation of Muslims (both males and females) were properly educated.
These are just a few reasons which explain the reverence and respect he has garnered across the world. We will be writing more on him in detail in future, God willing.
If you have any question regarding the topic, feel free to comment below.
Founder, Chief Editor